Thursday 15 August 2013

Response from Liz Truss dated 12th August 2013

 
It is at this point that I fear Ms Truss does not know how much difference the QTS pay scale makes to those working as teachers. Currently QTS teachers receive between £21,804 pa and £31,868 pa (excluding London areas). Unqualified teachers receive between £15,976 pa and £25,267 pa. 

This vast disparity must be addressed if the Early Years is to maintain the dedication of the existing EYPs within the workforce. Without these highly trained and specifically skilled practitioners, we will deprive countless young children and families of crucial support and sometimes critical interventions at a time when families are under increasing pressures.

The STPC document referred to is available at: http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/s/2013%20stpcd%20master%20final.pdf


I need to further investigate the possibility of achieving Early Years QTS via the assessment only route. As far as I can make out, the closest providers to Hull are Leeds.
 
I understand that applicants for this training must have experience within two or more separate settings and across two or more age ranges. As I have specific experience and skills of working with children prior to compulsory school age, I do not think I will be eligible to access this route.
 
I don't agree that EYPs should be forced to train in another age group as the needs of children in primary schools vary immeasurably from those in early years settings. In fact, that is the fundamental point of training specifically for the needs of our youngest children and their families!
 
I will let you know how that pans out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think about this Blog and if you have any ideas to support the campaign.
Thank you.