Friday 16 August 2013

My email to Liz Truss today - 16th August 2013

As you can imagine, I am more than a little perturbed as to why Ms Truss feels unable to respond directly to my emails! Maybe she does not wish me to be able to cut and paste her comments here?!!


Here is my most recent response to Ms Truss via Mr Graham Stuart:

Dear Mr Stuart,

Please accept my thanks for forwarding Ms Truss’s responses to my enquiries relating to ‘the discrimination of Early Years Professionals’.

May I suggest that it would be more practical for my future communications to receive a direct response from Ms Truss. This will avoid absorbing your valuable constituency time by your having to attend to a matter for the Department for Education. It will also prevent Ms Truss from appearing to distance herself from what may look like a ‘thorny issue’!

As I presently have no direct email access to Ms Truss, I will be grateful if you will pass on this response to her latest communication.

****************
Dear Ms Truss,

Further to our recent communications, I will be most grateful if you will in future respond directly to my communications in this respect. It seems most impractical to involve my local MP in a matter which relates purely to the DfE and which effectively removes his attention from more local but equally important political matters.

I am most appreciative of your responses to my concerns however I remain anxious that in spite of your rhetoric, which clearly establishes the value of Early Years Professionals and the newly titled Early Years Teachers, there remains no conclusive decision or plan to pay these highly skilled individuals a wage commensurate with their level of expertise and qualification. Indeed, I suspect that many existing EYPs may well be considering leaving the sector in order to earn a wage that can more effectively meet the financial commitments of a family!

May I suggest that you take a look at the disparity between the wages of teachers with QTS and those without QTS on the document to which you refer in your last email (http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/s/2013%20stpcd%20master%20final.pdf). It is most apparent that there is a difference of almost £6000. And yet, you continue to claim that EYPs, specifically trained to deal with the ever-changing needs of our youngest children, are equally as important as teachers of our older children.

With respect to your comments regarding the other options which may be available to me should I wish to achieve QTS, I do not currently get paid a wage that can effectively support my family, let alone support me through yet further education or assessment to qualify to teach another age group.

I have begun to investigate the potential to achieve QTS through the ‘assessment only’ route as you suggest, however I am being advised that this is not available to me locally (East Yorkshire) and that I must be able to demonstrate experience in another age range to be accepted. I wonder if you would suggest that I give up my relatively secure, although poorly paid, permanent job (£8.16/hour) to seek primary school experience which will likely be at a lower pay rate and on a temporary contract, so that I might be considered a suitable candidate to pay over £2000 for this route?

I must continue to assert that my skills and training have been explicitly honed to focus on the very different needs and education of the under 5s (as directed by the EYFS) though I have been suitably equipped with the knowledge and understanding to teach older children, however I must admit that I am beginning to wonder whether my protracted qualifications, experience and skills are still considered to be good enough?

I look forward to your response so that I may share your comments with my fellow campaigners and media followers.

Kind regards,

Julie Dervey

P.S. You may wish to take a look at my Blog which relates to my campaign and the comments from others who have signed the petition which is committed to improved conditions for EYPs. I have provided the links below:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think about this Blog and if you have any ideas to support the campaign.
Thank you.